Mmm….This was so worth the wait. I’m not one to shy away from making my own form of hooch, and this stuff fits that description nicely. After 6 weeks I ended up with a sweetened liqueur, with a woodsy undertaste. It numbed my lips when I had it.
And I’m all for that
- 3 tb Dried chopped angelica root
- 1 tb Chopped almonds
- 1 Allspice berry, cracked
- 1 1″ piece cinnamon stick, broken
- 3 To 6 anise or fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/8 ts Powdered coriander seed
- 1 tb Chopped fresh marjoram leaves or 1 tsp. dried
- 1 1/2 c Vodka
- 1/2 c Granulated sugar
- 1/4 c Water
- 1 dr Each yellow and green food color,(optional)
Combine all herbs, nuts and spices with vodka in a 1 quart or larger aging container. Cap tightly and shake daily for 2 weeks. Strain through a fine muslin cloth or coffee filter; discarding solids. Clean out aging container. Place liquid back in container.
Place sugar and water in saucepan and stir to combine over medium heat. When sugar is completely dissolved, set aside and let cool. When cool combine with food coloring and add to liqueur liquid. Cap and allow to age and mellow in a cool, dark place for one month.