Nothing to complicated here. Just a simple stock for soups, sauces and other things. I added garlic to this, simply because I like garlic. If you disagree, feel free to remove the garlic.
- 2 lbs of chicken backs and necks
- 12 cups of water (filtered or bottled, preferably)
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup white wine (I used a buttery tasting Chardonnay)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
Put everything in a stock pot. Bring to a boil over medium high heat. At the boil, reduce the heat to a simmer, and allow to stew for 90 minutes.
Strain the stock out and discard the solids. (or feed the chicken bits to your cat).
Refrigerate, skimming off any fat after an hour or so. Use within 2 weeks, or freeze and use within 2 months.