If you haven’t seen the photo essay “What the World Eats” from Time Magazine, it’s worth taking a few moments to peruse. The pictures come from the book Hungry Planet.
Here are a few of my own takes on the pictures:
- One family’s eating habits do not represent that of an entire country. An obvious statement, to be sure, but it needs to be said.
- The differences in the amount of food consumed from the families of first world countries and third world countries are striking.
- The Mexican Family? Good lord that’s a lot of Coca-Cola!
- Compare the amount of fruits and vegetables consumed by the American and British families against those from Mexico, Germany and Italy.
- The pictures include pet food.